The Pink Madness Is Coming
Are you bracing for Breast Cancer Awareness Month like we are?
Because we know our timelines will be sugarcoated with:
- The sweet but unmet promises of prevention and early detection
- “Feel good” stories that gloss over the experiences of many people, women and men, dealing with this disease
- Well-intentioned but unhelpful campaigns that don't move beyond superficial "awareness"
What NEEDS to be in our timelines:
- Moving beyond "raising awareness" to focus on more education and research that will SAVE LIVES
- The candid realities of people living with ALL stages of breast cancer
- The hard facts about secondary/metastatic breast cancer
One of Breast Cancer Awareness Month's favorite messages is that early detection saves lives. But what most people still don't know is 20-30% of all early stage breast cancer will become metastatic breast cancer. THAT is the killer.
And we must do everything we can to stop it!
Refuse to Be Dipped in The Pink Frosting
Join us on Saturday, October 1st by telling
YOUR truth about what it means to have primary or secondary/metastatic breast
cancer, or to care for someone who does.
Whether you're sharing breast cancer information, or your personal story in words or pictures, it's OK to be angry. Or funny. Or sad. Just keep it real.
Every time you tweet your truth, be sure to include the #BreastCancerRealityCheck
✔️hashtag. Using a ✔️checkmark/tick emoji is optional, but will make your tweet "pop" (and won’t function as part of the hashtag). And You Could Be Tweeting for Charity
A panel of US and UK judges will pick the WINNING TWEET
that best captures the spirit of
this 1st Annual Breast Cancer Reality Check✔️Day.
The person who contributes that winning
tweet on October 1st
will have money donated, in their name, to a US- or UK-based breast cancer charity advancing the kind of education and research that will SAVE LIVES.
Symbolizing those 113
(and many more worldwide!) lost to metastatic breast cancer on October 1st
, the donation amount in the winner's name will be £113 GBP
(or $146 USD
at current exchange rate).
Winner will be announced and notified on Saturday, October 8th.